I was eleven years old and I remember it like it was yesterday. Bill Powers was having dinner at our house in Watertown, Mass. when he received a phone call that his house was on fire. We learned that his son Paul who was 4 years old had taken a lit candle into a closet and burned the house down.
The following year Bill’s ex-wife had taken ill and was now unable to take care of their three boys, Peter, Paul and Patrick. Peter moved in with my cousins and lived with them. Paul went to Canada and lived with his mother’s relatives and Patrick moved in with us. Two years later my mother and Bill married and now Patrick was part of our family.